This workshop has already taken place.
» Download the workshop report
On behalf of the European Commission and partnering with Fraunhofer ISI we are currently conducting a research study, “The Economic and Social Impact of Software & Services on Competitiveness and Innovation” (SMART 2015/0015).
What was the workshop about?
The workshop was associated with a number of research studies related to the economic and social impact of software and to future research & innovation challenges for software technologies. We presented in particular the results of our SMART study.
At the workshop, about 20-30 experts from research, industry associations, enterprises and the European Commission discussed about:
- Policy recommendations derived from an ongoing study on how the European Commission could further support the European software industry in order to fully capture its potential and overcome potential barriers.
- Research & innovation challenges for software technologies and how the European Commission could further support the European industry & research community to continue world class research & innovation activities in software.
- Experts from enterprises, academia, and associations who know about the overall development of the software industry and its requirements for the future;
- Further experts who are aware of current policy measures for the support of the software sector, and who have some experience in assessing which measures may work and which may not, e.g. academia, associations and policy stakeholders
- Dr. Bernd Beckert, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research ISI (project partner)
- Mr. Pearse O’Donohue, Acting Director “Future Networks”, DG CONNECT, European Commission
- Prof. Mike Hinchey, University of Limerick, Director of the Irish Software Research Centre
- Dr. Sotiris Koussouris, Cluster of European Projects on Software Engineering for Services and Applications
- Mr. Francisco Medeiros, Deputy Head of Unit, Unit E2 - Cloud & Software, DG CONNECT, European Commission
- Dr. Katrin Schleife, Pierre Audoin Consultants – PAC, a CXP Group Company
- Dr. Lutz Schubert, HolaCloud project, University of Ulm
- Prof. Diomidis Spinellis, Athens University of Economics and Business
- The Economic and Social Impact of Software & Services on Competitiveness and Innovation – SMART 2015/0015 - Dr. Katrin Schleife (PAC) and Dr. Bernd Beckert (Fraunhofer ISI)
- Research Priorities in the area of Software Technologies - Diomidis Spinellis
- Innovation Potential of Software Technologies in the context of Horizon 2020 - M. Hinchey
- Current and Future Challenges of Software Engineering for Services and Applications - Sotiris Koussouris
- HolaCloud Road mapping: New Research and Innovation Challenges in Software Engineering - Dr. Lutz Schubert