Key cyber security issues in the aerospace & defense industry
The defense & homeland security sector has one simple goal: ensure and maintain the security of the country, its citizens, enterprises, infrastructures, and government authorities. This is exactly what cyber security is meant to achieve, except that cyber security operates exclusively in the cyber space. Clients' expectations in the area of cyber security are extremely high, and defense & homeland security solutions that are not secured against cyber attacks have become unthinkable. What's more, we see more and more solutions specifically designed to tackle cyber security vulnerabilities. Similarly, the aerospace industry, with its strong links to defense, is also particularly vulnerable to cyber crime.
- Due to the nature of aerospace & defense, it is a heavily regulated industry that is dominated by giant multinationals and is under close scrutiny from governments.
- Its ecosystems are wide and extended.
- Production is based on tight integration between IT and operational technologies (OT).
- The development processes of embedded systems are very strict.
- As so often, we see digital technologies changing the game.
The A&D industry increasingly has to deal with the common cyber security issues, due to its growing exposure to non-A&D, OT-based technologies; however, the impacts remain limited. The enterprises of the A&D segment have long been closely protected due to their specific system development processes and the regulations they have been subject to. However, they now have many new digital technologies and processes at the core of their operating models.
This trend leads to A&D-specific cyber security issues that may have serious consequences if there is any:
- theft of highly sensitive data;
- loss of control over a particular system.
To solve these problems, the A&D players have to quickly adopt the new cyber security paradigm and upgrade their traditional system development processes to the so-called DevSecOps procedures.
Subscribers can access the full report via our portal.