PAC RADAR – IoT Platforms in Europe 2018
IoT platforms provide two basic types of functionality to clients: managing IoT devices AND managing IoT applications. However, none of the IoT platforms available in the market today cover all functions around IoT-related device and application management for all kinds of need. Existing IoT platforms focus on specific functions regarding device and application management to serve the needs of specific user groups around dedicated use cases.
Concept and methodology of this PAC RADAR are similar to those of the traditional PAC RADAR. While the traditional PAC RADAR focuses on mature services segments, this PAC RADAR, however, positions providers in rather new and innovative service segments. Thus the focus of the evaluation is on the portfolio, vision, investment, go-to-market and capabilities.
PAC is going to evaluate the providers of IoT platforms in Europe in seven different PAC RADAR segments, which are dedicated to specific use cases:
Horizontal IoT platforms provide support for a specific use case across many verticals:
- IoT platforms for device management enable SW updates for device fleets and/or remote control of devices,
- IoT platforms for rapid application deployment allow data visualization via drag & drop dashboards and event processing,
- IoT platforms for analytics application enable the development of more complex IoT applications such as predictive maintenance,
- IoT platforms for device development allow the communication of low- power devices with embedded SW via LPWAN.
Vertical IoT platforms provide support for a specific set of use cases, dedicated to the needs of one vertical context:
- Industrial IoT platforms cover all kinds of use cases around the digital factory,
- IoT platforms for vehicles cover all kinds of use cases around SIM- connected vehicle fleets,
- IoT platforms for smart cities cover all kinds of use cases around the efficient use of city infrastructures.
PAC RADAR – IoT Platforms in Europe 2017
PAC evaluated the providers of IoT platforms in Europe in four different PAC RADAR segments, which are dedicated to specific user groups and use cases:
- IoT platforms for rapid deployment
- IoT platforms for device management
- IoT platforms for device development
- IoT platforms for analytics applications
Across all four segments only six players achieved the “Best in Class” ranking:
- Bosch Software Innovations (IoT platforms for device management - available for download)
- GE Digital
For key insights in the current competitive landscape around IoT platforms: Watch the recording / download the slides of our PAC Webinar “Status Quo of IoT Platforms in Europe 2017".